Even if we let the sport we love do exactly what many of us hope it does which is to isolate us from the struggles and challenges of real life, being a Bucs fan has been a challenge unto itself for some time. Since our glorious march to the top what seems like ages ago, the waters have been turbulent and our chest pounding about a Lombardi Trophy that is getting dustier by the day rings more hollow with each passing loss. That said, I sit here tonight preparing for another live show / podcast recording where I get to talk to friends near and far: known and unknown about this game we all love so very much. As my family prepares to give thanks in the way we see fit, my sincere hope for you and yours is that you are able to share the day with those you love and spend some time really focusing on some of the things we can be thankful for.
Thorough our charitable work, we have become more familiar with hardship and struggle then I had ever imagined. The interesting thing is that in my experience, those of us who have the most legitimate reasons to be absolutely wrecked seem to be the ones who cheer me up. They seem to be the ones reminding me about the great things in life. They provide me perspective. I know they do that for our whole Krewe.
So, in the spirit of thankfulness and lightheartedness I give you a quick list of things I am thankful for and encourage you to Tweet or comment your own additions.
- I am thankful for my family
- I am thankful for my friends
- I am thankful for my FANmily (Spentism #1)
- I am thankful for my health
- I am thankful for the country in which I live
- I am thankful for the chance to always be better
- I am thankful for the ability to apologize when I am not
- I am thankful for the amazing people I have met through this crazy web ‘movement’ (Spentism #2)
- I am thankful for krewe that makes the insane things we try to accomplish fun and possible
- I am thankful to have an NFL franchise to call my own (and sad for my friends who have lost theirs)
- I am thankful to know for certain what I do every home gameday – throw the best party with the best fans
- I am thankful for a group that helps me make a difference in my community
- I am thankful for “There’s always next week”
- I am thankful for NFL Game Rewind
- I am thankful for you
You reading this. You listening to the podcast. You coming to the events and you helping make Football Sunday more than plays between the whistles and more about the hours, days, wekks and months we spend sharing, laughing, crying, bitching and changing each other in what we hope of the long haul are positive ways.
If you do tweet this maybe let’s use the hashtag #SayingThanks. I hear hashtags are cool.